Gesves Getaway: Luxury Pool Home Awaits! (Belgium)
Gesves Getaway: Luxury Pool Home Awaits! (Belgium) - My Unfiltered Take
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to unleash the unvarnished truth about Gesves Getaway. This place? It's… a lot. Let's just say my expectations, fueled by the glossy photos and the promise of "luxury," met reality with the grace of a drunken flamingo. But honestly, that's not always a bad thing.
(Metadata & SEO Smorgasbord - Because I Can't Resist):
- Keywords: Gesves Getaway, Belgium, Luxury Pool Home, Accessible, Spa, Sauna, Swimming Pool, Family-Friendly, Restaurant, Wi-Fi, Wheelchair Accessible, COVID-19 Safety, Outdoor Activities, Romantic Getaway, Belgium Vacation.
- Meta Description: A candid review of Gesves Getaway in Belgium, covering accessibility, amenities (spa, pool, dining), safety protocols, and the overall experience. Honest opinions and insights for a memorable vacation!
(Arrival & First Impressions - Where the Flamingo Fell)
Getting here… a bit of a trek for us. We opted for the Airport Transfer, which, thankfully, was seamless. (Thank god, because the thought of navigating Belgian roads after a red-eye…shudder). The exterior? Honestly, the "Luxury Pool Home" title felt like a slight exaggeration on arrival. It's more…spacious. Like, really spacious. Our first thought, "Wow, we'll be needing those Interconnecting rooms, thanks be!
The Check-in/out [express] process was a welcome relief after the travel. The lobby, which was a bit of a surprise, a well-decorated space, immediately gives a feel of the hotel. The staff was kind, but the friendliness felt…practiced? Which, I guess, isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it meant the Front desk [24-hour] felt a little less human and a little more hotel-ish, and the Elevator was gratefully used (because I'm definitely not scaling those stairs after a long flight!).
(Accessibility - A Mixed Bag)
Now, the big one, is this place truly accessible? Officially, yes. There were Facilities for disabled guests and yes, the place has a Wheelchair accessible. However, some of the hallways were a wee bit tight, and it might be navigating the area. So, while it ticks the boxes, it's not a flawlessly designed barrier-free paradise. Assess your needs and plan accordingly.
(The Room - Where the Slippers Were a Lifesaver)
We walked into our "luxury" suite and, let’s just say, my partner immediately went for the Slippers. That Extra long bed was a blessing. Okay, so the Air conditioning worked, the Blackout curtains were effective (thank heavens for the Smoke detector!), and the Wi-Fi [free] was blessedly strong. A minor gripe – the Mirror in the bathroom was positioned in the weirdest place. Who designed this bathroom? The bathroom phone makes me think of the 1980s.
One particular afternoon, I was dying for a good shower. I was so tired! So, I went in and the Shower pressure was just sad. It was like a dribbling kitten. Luckily, there was a Separate shower/bathtub, so I took a bath and it was absolutely relaxing.
I will say this - my partner loved his Alarm clock.
(Food, Glorious (and Sometimes Questionable) Food)
The Breakfast [buffer] was extensive – Western breakfast staples, some Asian breakfast offerings (we're in Belgium, people!), and a general air of "something for everyone." The Coffee/tea in restaurant was so-so. But there was absolutely no need for the Breakfast takeaway service.
The restaurants were… a rollercoaster. There was the A la carte in restaurant option, the Buffet in restaurant as well, and the Vegetarian restaurant that was a good choice. The Happy hour was a godsend. But the star of the show? The Poolside bar. I spent, oh, about half my waking hours there, sipping cocktails and judging other people's swimwear. Pure bliss. The Snack bar was handy too.
Let me tell you a little story…
(The Spa & Wellness - A Moment of Divine Indulgence)
The Spa was, hands down, the savior of this entire experience. The Sauna was hot, perfectly hot. The Steamroom was steamy.I had a Massage. It was an absolute dream. It wiped away all my travel stress. The Pool with view, even better. I went in the Swimming pool [outdoor] and swam. It was absolutely freeing. They didn't offer a pool bar, though.
(Things to Do & Ways to Relax - The Belgitude)
This is where Gesves shines. Or, could shine. The Swimming pool [outdoor] is amazing.
The Fitness center… looked like it hadn't seen a workout in years. I did go in the Gym/fitness.
Things to do: Belgium is magical.
(Cleanliness & Safety - Sanitizin' Shenanigans)
Okay, let's be honest, the whole world is a bit obsessed with cleanliness these days. Gesves Getaway takes it seriously. Rooms sanitized between stays, Anti-viral cleaning products, Staff trained in safety protocol, you name it. Hand sanitizer was plentiful. Cashless payment service was a plus. The Safe dining setup with Sanitized kitchen and tableware items was reassuring. They're not messing around!
(COVID-19 Protocols - "Do You Have Sanitizer?")
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter – Mostly observed.
- Daily disinfection in common areas – We saw it happening!
- Room sanitization opt-out available – A nice touch.
- Individually-wrapped food options – Predictable, but safe.
- Contactless check-in/out – Efficient, but a bit impersonal.
(The Verdict - Would I Go Back? (Maybe, With Conditions))
Gesves Getaway is a complex beast. It's not perfect. There are quirks. There are areas for improvement. But it also offers a certain charm, a certain something-something. I'd return, but only if I could guarantee a spot in the spa and a regular supply of those poolside cocktails. And maybe, just maybe, if they redesigned that bathroom mirror.
Escape to Aquitaine: Your Dream Heritage Gite Awaits! (Bergerac, Shared Pool)Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your average travel itinerary. This is a Gesves Gauntlet of Good Times (And Probably Some Panic). We're talking a holiday home in Gesves, Belgium, with a freakin' pool. Prepare for glorious mess!
The Official Unofficial Gesves Itinerary (AKA, My Brain’s Chaotic Playground)
Day 1: Arrival, Anxiety, and Aperol (and Maybe a Breakdown)
- 14:00 - Arrival & Key Drama: Alright, first things first: find the damn keys. Already sweating. My luggage? An overstuffed monster that probably weighs more than a small pony. The holiday home? Gorgeous, but so much pressure for it to be perfect. We're supposed to be relaxed, dammit!
- 14:15 - House Inspection (Pretending I Know What I'm Doing): Okay, pretending I'm a sophisticated travel blogger. "The architecture is… lovely." (Translation: "Is the plumbing going to explode? Are there spiders? Am I going to lock myself out immediately?") Spotting the pool: instant happiness. "Pool is…good."
- 14:30 - Luggage Debacle and the Questionable Decision Making of Snack Selection:: Seriously, why did I pack that? Now, opening the snacks and realize I grabbed the wrong flavor of crisps. A deep, soul-crushing disappointment I will carry for the next 3 hours.
- 15:00 - Aperol Spritz Liberation: Finally, a moment to breathe. Cracking open the Aperol, ice clinking, tiny bubbles rising. This is exactly why I came. The sun is shining, the pool is shimmering. Maybe, just maybe, everything will be… okay.
- 15:30 - The Unspoken Fear of the Pool: Okay as I mentioned the pool: the size, the color, the surrounding. I am going to spend the rest of the time by the pool! but… I am not very good at swimming so I don't want to fall in.
- 16:00 - Grocery Run (A Comedy of Errors): Armed with (a half-baked) shopping list, hit the local supermarket. French is not my strong suit. Ended up buying a baguette, some cheese I couldn't identify, and a suspiciously large quantity of speculoos biscuits. Success! (I think?)
- 17:00 - Unpacking, Re-packing, and Regret (Plus, more Snacks): How do people just unpack? I'm a professional re-packer. Everything ends up back in the suitcase. Also, are the speculoos already gone?
- 18:00- Cooking Disaster: Attempting to cook something resembling a meal with my mysterious cheese and the baguette. It resulted in burnt bread, semi-melted cheese, a lot of mess and the feeling that I am the worst cook on planet Earth.
- 19:30 - Sunset, Wine, and Questionable Life Choices: Watching the sunset, sipping wine, and contemplating if I should have brought more snacks. Contemplating if I should have chosen a different career. Or a different life. This is what holidays are for, right? (Yes. Yes, they are).
Day 2: Culture, Cobblestones, and a Near-Death Experience? (Probably)
- 09:00 - The Breakfast of Champions (AKA, The Speculoos Breakfast): Embracing the imperfection. Speculoos for breakfast. Judge me. I dare you.
- 10:00 - Off to Huy! (Hoping to not get lost): Huy! A medieval town! Excitement levels: moderate. Getting lost in tiny, winding Belgian roads: guaranteed. Probably going to need the GPS. Prepare.
- 11:00 - Huy’s Cobblestones and the Basilica: Huy is pretty. The cobblestones are not. Almost tripped five times. The Basilique is magnificent (and thankfully, not cobblestone-y). Took far too many pictures. Totally worth it.
- 12:00 - Lunch that Doesn't Suck: Found an adorable brasserie with perfect frites and a beer that was worth the calories. Feeling slightly less like a total failure.
- 13:00 - Huy's Citadel and My Fear of Heights: Okay, the Citadel is cool, with amazing views. But heights. Not my friend. Attempted to look casual while clinging to the railings. Success! (Probably!).
- 15:00 - The Return of the Fear: Back in the house and the pool. Now fear of swimming. I don't want to fall after being so close to success and relaxation
- 16:00 - Attempt at Relaxing (and Failing): Tried to read by the pool. Kept getting interrupted by thoughts of my to-do list back home. Also, the sun is strong. Must. Put. On. More. Sunscreen. (Succeeded in getting sunburnt).
- 19:00 - Dinner Attempt 2.0: Ordered takeaway. Problem solved!
- 20:00 - Stargazing (If I Can Keep My Eyes Open). Fingers crossed for clear skies. Hoping for peace. And maybe a slight detox from speculoos. Maybe.
Day 3: The Pool, The Pool, the Pool and a Little Bit of Everything Else
- 08:00 - Morning Panic (That Didn't Happen) : Woke up feeling vaguely hungover and slightly bewildered. Then remembered: I'm on holiday! Take a deep breath. Maybe another speculoos biscuit will help.
- 09:00 - Pool Time, Take Two (or a Million): No pressure, no expectations. Just… the pool. Floating. Thinking about nothing. This is the dream. (Except a few times I almost choked from my fear of going under).
- 11:00 - A Trip to the Market (More Cheese, Naturally): Going to find the perfect cheese! This time I will get it right.
- 12:00 - Picnic in the Sun (Or Maybe Shade): Pack up all the cheese (and whatever else is left) and eat next to the pool.
- 14:00 - The Art of Doing Nothing (And Possibly Napping): Aiming for absolute relaxation. Fingers crossed. Will probably fail miserably.
- 15:00 - More Pool (Because Why Not?): I am having a blast.
- 17:00 - Prepping for Departure (The Dread Begins): Ugh. The end is near. Starting to think about packing, cleaning (yikes), and returning to reality. Don't wanna go, but I am going to enjoy these hours.
- 19:00 - Farewell Dinner: Ordered takeaway (again. Don't judge). Celebrating the awesomeness of Belgian frites.
- 20:00 - Last Sunset (Trying Not to Cry): Watching the final sunset, feeling a mixture of sadness and gratitude. This holiday was messy, imperfect, and utterly delightful. I survived.
Day 4: Departure (And the Urge to Stay Forever)
- 09:00 - Packing Pandemonium (AKA, Where Did Everything Go?): Seriously, where's my charger? And that amazing shirt? And the rest of the speculoos? Panic levels: high.
- 10:00 - Final Check-Out (Trying to Look Presentable): Leaving the holiday home. It's been real, Gesves. You were messy, beautiful, and I can't wait to come back.
- 11:00 - Departure (And the Promise of Return): Driving away, already planning the next adventure. Gesves. You were an adventure. A messy, delicious, terrifying, and wonderful adventure.
And there you have it! The utterly unedited, gloriously imperfect, and emotionally unstable record of my Gesves escape. May your own holiday be as hilariously messy as mine!
Escape to Your Dream Forest Getaway in Lerne-Chinon, France!