Grand Forks Getaway: Uncover the Hidden Gem at Harvest Inn & Suites!
Grand Forks Getaway: Harvest Inn & Suites - A Review That's More Than Just a List! (Spoiler: It's a Mixed Bag, But Mostly Okay!)
Alright, folks, buckle up. This isn't your typical, sanitized hotel review. We're diving headfirst into my recent stay at the Harvest Inn & Suites in Grand Forks, and trust me, it was… an experience. So, let’s get messy, shall we?
(SEO & Metadata: Before We Blew Up the Bed… Again!)
- Keywords: Grand Forks, Harvest Inn & Suites, Hotel Review, North Dakota, Accessibility, Spa, Pool, Restaurant, Free Wi-Fi, Family-Friendly, Business Travel, Cleanliness, COVID-19 Safety, Wheelchair Accessible, Sauna, Fitness Center, Breakfast, Room Service.
- Meta Description: A brutally honest and hilarious review of the Harvest Inn & Suites in Grand Forks, ND. We dive into accessibility, the surprisingly decent pool, questionable housekeeping, and everything in between. Get ready for the dirt, the triumphs, and the slight existential dread of a hotel stay.
(First Impressions & the Quest for the Room Key – A Saga!)
Let's be real, after a long drive across the prairies, all you want is to collapse into a soft bed. The check-in? Mixed. The front desk staff? Generally lovely, but things took a minute. Getting the key card felt like a quest worthy of an epic fantasy novel. ("You must solve the riddle of the printer jam to unlock your room, traveler!") Okay, maybe I embellish…but the slight delay was there. 24 Hour Front Desk is useful, especially when you're a sleep-deprived traveler like myself.
(Accessibility – Respect!)
Okay, major props to the Harvest Inn & Suites for trying to be accessible. They have Facilities for disabled guests, an Elevator, and the Wheelchair accessible thing going on (which is HUGE). I'd say they've genuinely made an effort. I didn't personally need these features, but seeing them available is a huge plus. Now, the practicality? I didn't personally test it out but the fact that it is available is just a basic part of their service.
(Room Sweet Room – Or, The Case of the Questionable Carpeting)
The room itself. Again, mixed feelings. The Air conditioning worked like a champ. The Bed? Comfortable enough, although I think I might have spent more time trying to get the remote to work than I did, you know, watching TV. The Blackout curtains were a lifesaver. THANK YOU. Now, for the bad news… the Carpeting felt… old. Like, really old. I may or may not have imagined tiny dust bunnies engaging in gladiatorial combat. And they had Free Wi-Fi (thank goodness!), but the Internet access – LAN was a bit of a mystery. I am all about free Wifi. The Bathroom was functional, though, with a Bathtub AND a Shower, and all the necessary Toiletries. A Mirror, Hair Dryer, and the obligatory Soap were present and accounted for. I also appreciated the Daily housekeeping.
(Cleaning Frenzy & COVID-19 Shenanigans)
Let's be brutally honest: I’m a bit of a germaphobe. So, I am pleased with the emphasis on Cleanliness and safety. They had the Rooms sanitized between stays, Daily disinfection in common areas and used Anti-viral cleaning products. They also had stuff like Hand sanitizer everywhere. That being said, and I am a bit of a paranoid person, so I was relieved, but still, I did wipe down the remote. Again.
(The Food Adventures – From Breakfast to Midnight Snacks)
Ah, the sustenance! The Harvest Inn tries. They offer a Breakfast [buffet], but let's just say my expectations were… managed. It had your typical options: Breakfast service with Western breakfast, which was a pleasant surprise. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was okay, but I'm a coffee snob. The Coffee/tea maker in the room was essential. I had a Coffee shop across from the front desk as well. I may have abused that. In addition, they offered a Room service [24-hour] – and hey, sometimes you just need a burger at midnight. Guilty. I didn't try the Asian cuisine in restaurant, but I saw it and thought about it.
(Poolside Bliss (Almost!) & Relaxation Station)
Now, for the good stuff! The Swimming pool [outdoor] was actually pretty decent. It wasn't Olympic-sized, mind you, but it was clean, and the Pool with view was a bonus. The Sauna was also there, along with a Steamroom. Did I use them? (Side note: I swear, after a long day of dealing with North Dakota winds, a spa is just what you need.) No. I looked at them. I considered it. I wanted to, but time wasn't on my side. But… the fact that the Gym/fitness center was present was a plus!
(Services and Conveniences – The Good, The Bad, and the "Meh")
- The Good: Car park [free of charge] is always a winner. Laundry service was available. Concierge? Didn't need it, but good to know they have it. Wi-Fi for special events - perfect for business travelers.
- The "Meh:" Some of the Services and conveniences felt a bit…minimalist.
- The slightly Odd: They had a Convenience store, which was great.
(Business Traveler's Paradise? (Maybe))
They had Business facilities which are useful. I also noticed that they had Audio-visual equipment for special events, Meetings, and seminar options. But honestly, I was so focused on trying to find the TV remote, the business stuff kinda flew under my radar.
(For the Kids – Family-Friendly Vibes?)
They claim to be Family/child friendly and offer a Babysitting service!. I didn’t have kids with me but it looked like they made an attempt.
(Getting Around – Easy Peasy!)
Car park [free of charge] again. And, they offer Taxi service, which is clutch.
(Overall Verdict – Would I Go Back? (Maybe!)
Look, the Harvest Inn & Suites isn't perfect. There are some rough edges, and the carpet might have a story or two to tell about its past. But it's clean, it's attempting to be accessible, the pool is decent, and the staff are genuinely friendly. For the price, it’s a pretty decent option in Grand Forks. Would I stay there again? Maybe. Depends on what I'm doing in Grand Forks and how much the carpet is bothering me at that moment. It certainly deserves a solid "Okay" rating with some room for improvement. Next time, though, I am REALLY bringing a Lysol wipe.
Escape to Paradise: Cozy Bungalow in Nature's Embrace (Tytsjerksteradiel, NL)Okay, buckle up, buttercups, because we're ROAD TRIPPIN' in the land of endless horizons – Grand Forks, North Dakota! And our base camp? The ahem Best Western Harvest Inn & Suites. Let's just say, "suites" is a generous term in this case. But hey, it's a roof, and it's probably got a questionable continental breakfast. Let's dive in…
Grand Forks, ND: The Good, The Bad, And the Slightly Smelly Carpet (Best Western Edition)
(Day 1: Arrival and Existential Dread in the Parking Lot)
- 1:00 PM: Arrive at the Grand Forks International Airport (GFK). Okay, "international" is pushing it. More like "local connecting flights with a dash of existential dread." Grab rental car. Pray it has working air conditioning. This North Dakota heat is NO JOKE.
- 1:45 PM: Check in at the Best Western Harvest Inn & Suites. Deep breath. Okay, the lobby… not terrible. Kinda beige. The front desk guy seemed mildly traumatized, but hey, we all have off days. Room key acquired. Onwards!
- (2:00 PM): First impressions of the room are… well, let’s say “lived-in.” The carpet could tell stories, probably involving rogue pizza crumbs and questionable spills. Found a stray sock under the bed! Score! Don't ask me why I looked. I'm a sucker for a good mystery.
- 2:30 PM: Lunch! Or, a desperate attempt to satiate the hunger after my flight that got delayed and took me 12 hours to reach my destination. Decided to take a stroll to find some eats around and found myself at, Original Joe's. A great start. Ordered the Chicken Fingers. A massive plate arrived at my desk, the chicken fingers were a little bit overcooked but the dipping sauce was top-tier.
- 4:00 PM: Back to hotel room. A nap is desperately needed after that massive meal. Realized the TV remote is missing, and the channel selection is limited to local news, some religious programming, and – shockingly – a marathon of Forensic Files. Guess I'll be solving some mysteries before bed. (Just kidding. Sort of.)
- 6:00 PM: Venture out for a walk and a breath of fresh air. The North Dakota sky is massive. It’s almost overwhelming. I swear, I saw clouds I’d never even dreamed of before. Made my way to a local grocery store to grab some snacks. Aisle of chips, here I come.
- 7:30 PM: Dinner at a local restaurant, Sled Dogs. After the meal, I headed back to the hotel, and crashed.
(Day 2: River Ramblings And the Pursuit of a Decent Cup of Coffee)
- 7:00 AM: The aforementioned “continental breakfast.” Let's just say the options are… limited. Bagels that could double as hockey pucks, instant coffee that tastes faintly of sadness, and a toaster that seems to be powered by pure inertia. Made do.
- 8:00 AM: Hit the road! We're going to explore the Red River. Took a drive along the riverwalk, which is actually quite lovely. Saw some ducks, contemplated moving to the river and becoming one of them!
- 9:30 AM: Attempt to find a decent cup of coffee. Tried the recommended local coffee shop nearby. Coffee was okay. I missed my usual café. It never ceases to amaze me how something as simple as a perfect cup of coffee can completely change your mood.
- 11:00 AM: Decided to visit the UND campus. The university is beautiful.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at J. Ryan's. A classic American restaurant. I ordered the Fish and Chips. The Fish and Chips were great.
- 1:30 PM: Back to the hotel for some rest. The carpet situation is still troubling me, but I'm getting used to it. Found a weird stain on my pillow. Trying not to think about it.
- 3:00 PM: Found the pool. After checking it, I decided not to enter. It was cold.
- 4:00 PM: Went to the gym to burn the calories from lunch. The equipment seems fine.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at, Taco John’s. Yeah, I know, it’s not exactly Michelin-star material, but sometimes you just need a potato ole. And a diet coke.
- 7:30 PM: Back at the hotel. More Forensic Files. Praying for better sleep tonight. This trip is slowly making my mental health go down.
(Day 3: Embrace the Quirks and the Glorious Void)
- 7:00 AM: Breakfast. Same deal. Maybe I'll sneak a bagel.
- 8:00 AM: Checked out of the hotel. The carpet had a good run.
- 8:30 AM: Headed to the airport.
- 9:00 AM: Started the boarding.
- 11:00 AM: Landed.
- 11:30 AM: Headed home.
And that, folks, is Grand Forks, North Dakota, through the eyes of a weary traveler. It’s not the fanciest place on earth, and the Best Western certainly isn't winning any awards. But it's a place. A place with giant skies, interesting food choices, and a certain… charm. You do feel like you are far away from everything. Would I go back? Hmmm… maybe. But I'd definitely bring my own slippers. And maybe some industrial-strength carpet cleaner.
Wellotel Odessa: Your Luxurious Ukrainian Escape Awaits!Grand Forks Getaway: Uncover the Hidden Gem at Harvest Inn & Suites! ...Or Is It? A Very Honest FAQ
Okay, so "Hidden Gem" at Harvest Inn & Suites... seriously? What's the *real* deal?
Alright, alright, let's be real. "Hidden Gem" is marketing speak, right? Look, Harvest Inn *is* a solid choice for Grand Forks. It's not the Ritz, okay? Think... comfortable, clean-ish (more on that later), and generally a good basecamp for exploring. My personal experience? Well, let's just say I spent a weekend there with my in-laws. Yep. In-laws. That's a test of any hotel, believe me. They were... relatively pleased. Which, for them, is practically a rave review. So, yeah, maybe not a "gem" that'll sparkle your eyeballs out, but definitely a... dependable rock? A decent, serviceable, practical rock. You get the idea.
What's the breakfast situation? Gotta know if I'm gonna spend my mornings hangry.
Breakfast... okay, here's where things get a little *interesting*. The website promises a "complimentary hot breakfast!" which, on paper, sounds fantastic. In reality? It's more like... a continental breakfast with a side of optimism. They had the usual suspects: waffles (that you make yourself, which is fun until you burn the first three attempts), scrambled eggs (sometimes rubbery, sometimes okay - it’s a gamble!), cereal, fruit (the quality varies wildly – one day, the oranges were bursting with sunshine; the next, they looked vaguely… defeated), and the all-important coffee. The coffee was... decent. You know, hotel coffee. Can't complain too much. *I* had to go find REAL coffee in the city. But hey, you can't please everyone, especially at 7 AM after a night with your in-laws breathing down your neck.
Let's talk rooms. Cleanliness is *key*... tell me the truth!
Ah, *cleanliness*. The eternal question. Okay, so my room was... passable. Like, I didn't immediately recoil in horror. There was a slight... *suggestion* of a previous guest's presence (a stray hair here, a slightly questionable stain there on the carpet - I swear I didn't look too hard, I didn't want to ruin my mood.) But generally speaking, it felt adequately clean enough. I mean, they *do* have a cleaning crew, right? And the sheets *looked* clean. I always bring my own Lysol wipes anyway! You should too. Seriously. Pack them! Better safe than sorry when you're trying to relax in a hotel room and not think of every germ ever.
Is there a pool? And, if so, is it a horrifying petri dish?
Yes! There *is* a pool! And a hot tub! Now, before you get too excited, let me tell you, my in-laws, bless their hearts, *loved* the pool. So much so that they spent like... *way* too much time in it. I personally took one look, thought "eh, maybe not," and opted for the couch. It seemed… functional. I didn't see anything actively swimming around (thankfully!), but the chlorine smell was *definitely* present. My in-laws, however, emerged from the water relatively unscathed, and they're still alive and well. So, take that as you will. Maybe pack some extra towels. And maybe some eye drops. Just in case.
What about Wi-Fi? Crucial for social media stalking and, you know, work.
The Wi-Fi... well, it was there. Sometimes. Okay, let's be honest: it was a bit patchy. It worked okay for basic stuff – browsing, checking emails, that kind of thing. But my attempt to stream a movie one night? Disaster. Constant buffering. I ended up just reading a book. Which, in retrospect, wasn't the worst thing in the world. It just made me feel slightly... older. Like, "Back in my day, we didn't have Wi-Fi!" *sigh* Anyway, plan accordingly. Download your stuff beforehand, just in case.
Location, location, location! Is it actually *convenient*?
Location-wise, Harvest Inn is... pretty good. It's near everything, or at least, it's *close* to everything in Grand Forks. Which is to say: not that far away from anything. You’re not going to be driving for hours. Restaurants, shopping, some attractions... all within a manageable distance. You can probably get away with driving to a few things, or, depending on your commitment, you could even attempt a walk. I drove everywhere, but that's a me problem. It depends on what you're planning to do, of course. But overall: pretty darn convenient.
Okay, be honest. Would you stay there again? And why the heck did it take you to this conclusion?
Honestly? For a quick trip to Grand Forks, yeah, I probably would. It’s not a disaster. It's not going to ruin your vacation. It’s... functional. Clean enough. Affordable. And, crucially, it kept the in-laws relatively happy (a win in my book!). They're still talking about the pool! The breakfast wasn't amazing, the Wi-Fi wasn’t phenomenal, and I may have spent more time checking for dust bunnies than I ever have in my life. But in the end, it was all good. Just... manage your expectations, pack some Clorox wipes, and bring your own good coffee. That's my advice. And definitely make sure you schedule some time to yourself - even if it's just hiding in your room and praying for a good night's sleep.