Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield: Your Dream Pretoria Getaway Awaits!
Okay, buckle up, buttercups! This is going to be a REAL review, not some sanitized, corporate-speak fest. We're diving headfirst into the Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield experience, the good, the bad, and the hilariously awkward. I stayed there last week, and let me tell you, it's still all jumbled up in my brain. Get ready for some raw, unfiltered opinion.
Metadata & SEO - Blah Blah Blah (But I gotta do it, right?)
- Keywords: Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield review, Pretoria hotels, accessible hotels Pretoria, spa hotels Pretoria, Hatfield accommodation, South Africa hotels, family-friendly hotels Pretoria, free Wi-Fi Pretoria , business hotel Pretoria, things to do Pretoria, hotel review, South African travel, accessible travel, Pretoria getaway, best hotels Pretoria.
Accessibility: (Finally! Let's START!)
Honestly, accessing this hotel felt like a breeze, compared to some of the other places I've been to. It's pretty damn straightforward. I'm not in a wheelchair, so I can only comment on what I observed, but honestly, seeing the wide corridors and the elevator, it felt like it catered to accessibility. It's a plus for sure.
On-site accessible restaurants / lounges:
Didn't check for this, but I should have! My bad. I was too busy trying to navigate the buffet.
Wheelchair accessible:
See above. Didn't need it, but felt accessible. Now, I can’t say 100% guaranteed, but I'd be very surprised if they missed the mark on providing the proper, wheelchair-friendly facilities.
Internet Access: (Because, Obviously)
- Internet: Check! They have it.
- Free Wi-Fi in All Rooms!: YES! THANK GOD. No one wants to pay extra for Wi-Fi in 2024. Just imagine the outrage!
- Internet [LAN]: Didn't use LAN, who uses LAN anymore?
- Internet services: It worked. That's all I ask. I was too busy trying to upload my Instagram stories of the (amazing) breakfast.
Things to Do, Ways to Relax: (Hello, Spa Day!)
- Body scrub, Body wrap: Didn’t do these… which is now a regret. Should have just let go!
- Fitness center: Ugh, I saw it. And avoided it like the plague. Seriously, the thought of exercising after that buffet… no thanks.
- Foot bath: I feel I missed out on something here… how relaxing!
- Gym/fitness: Yeah, yeah, see above. Maybe next time.
- Massage: Now we're talking. Got a massage and the therapist was an actual angel. She knew exactly where all my knots were. Pure bliss. Afterwards, I was a puddle of happy.
- Pool with view: The pool was pretty, but my view was the breakfast buffet. Oops.
- Sauna: Never tried it, but always have the intention!
- Spa: The star! The massage was exceptional. Seriously, book a massage, you won't regret it.
- Spa/sauna: Didn't go!
- Steamroom: Also a no!
- Swimming pool: Yes, but I spent my time at the breakfast.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: Yup, outside.
Cleanliness and Safety: (The Important Stuff)
- Anti-viral cleaning products: Good to know! Made me feel a little less paranoid.
- Breakfast in room: Nope, did it the proper way - at the buffet.
- Breakfast takeaway service: Yes, which made leaving all the easier
- Cashless payment service: Definitely a plus. Who carries cash anymore?
- Daily disinfection in common areas: Good. I feel safer!
- Doctor/nurse on call: Didn’t need them, thankfully.
- First aid kit: Always a good sign.
- Hand sanitizer: Everywhere!
- Hot water linen and laundry washing: A necessary plus!
- Hygiene certification: Yay!
- Individually-wrapped food options: Useful, and very considerate
- Physical distancing of at least 1 meter: Seemed pretty well observed.
- Professional-grade sanitizing services: Okay!
- Room sanitization opt-out available: Didn't opt out, but the option's nice.
- Rooms sanitized between stays: I'd expect nothing less these days. Excellent!
- Safe dining setup: Fine by me.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items: Excellent
- Shared stationery removed: Good deal!
- Staff trained in safety protocol: Seemed to be the case.
- Sterilizing equipment: Necessary.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking: (The TRUE TEST)
- A la carte in restaurant: Yes, and looked delish.
- Alternative meal arrangement: Yes, and this is useful!
- Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant: Didn’t spot it, but again, my head was stuck at the buffet.
- Bar: Yes! A lifesaver after a long day. The drinks were good and the vibe was friendly.
- Bottle of water: Free. Thanks be to water.
- Breakfast [buffet]: OH. MY. GOD. This is where I basically lived. The buffet was AMAZING. Seriously, I’m still dreaming about the pastries. Croissants that melted in your mouth, fresh fruit, savory options…. My only regret is that I didn't pace myself. I just wanted to EAT EVERYTHING.
- Breakfast service: Exceptional.
- Buffet in restaurant: The highlight! See above.
- Coffee/tea in restaurant: Yay for caffeine!
- Coffee shop: Yes, a handy place to start the day!
- Desserts in restaurant: Again, see buffet!
- Happy hour: Missed it. Another regret.
- International cuisine in restaurant: Yep, they had it all!
- Poolside bar: Yes, and it looked lovely.
- Restaurants: Excellent
- Room service [24-hour]: Yes! Great for those late-night cravings.
- Salad in restaurant: Needed something healthy after all that sugar.
- Snack bar: Yes, a vital component!
- Soup in restaurant: Soup's always a mood.
- Vegetarian restaurant: Excellent
- Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant: The buffet had everything!
Services and Conveniences: (The Mundane, but Necessary)
- Air conditioning in public area: Essential in South Africa.
- Audio-visual equipment for special events: I didn't see any special events, though!
- Business facilities: Yep.
- Cash withdrawal: Useful.
- Concierge: Helpful and friendly. Assisted me!
- Contactless check-in/out: Smooth and easy.
- Convenience store: Always handy.
- Currency exchange: Very helpful.
- Daily housekeeping: My room was always spotless.
- Doorman: Yes.
- Dry cleaning, Elevator, Essential condiments, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop: All there, all functioning.
- Indoor venue for special events: Didn't see any!
- Invoice provided: Yes, and accurate!
- Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Meeting/banquet facilities, Meetings, Meeting stationery, On-site event hosting, Outdoor venue for special events, Projector/LED display, Safety deposit boxes, Seminars, Shrine, Smoking area, Terrace, Wi-Fi for special events, Xerox/fax in business center: Everything you'd expect.
For the Kids: (I Didn't Need This, But Good to Know)
- Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: Seemed very accommodating.
Access: (Back to it!)
CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Check-in/out [express], Check-in/out [private]: Fine!
Couple's room: I don't travel with a partner, so I'm not sure.
Exterior corridor: Standard.
Fire extinguisher: Good. Safety first, people!
Front desk [24-hour]: Always comforting.
Hotel chain: Part of the Protea chain.
Non-smoking rooms: Essential.
Pets allowed unavailable: Not for me!
Proposal spot: Hmm, could be romantic!
Room decorations, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour], Smoke alarms, Soundproof rooms: All the stuff you want.
Soundproof rooms: Absolutely. My room was quiet.
Getting around:
Airport transfer: Didn't use, but
Okay, buckle up, buttercups. This isn't your average itinerary. This is ME trying to navigate Pretoria, and trust me, it's gonna be a bumpy ride. Prepare for tangents, emotional outbursts, and a healthy dose of "I’m winging it."
Day 1: Arrival and a Hazy Glimpse of Hatfield
- 14:00: Land in Johannesburg, feel like I’ve been squeezed through a tube of toothpaste after that flight. My brain’s mush. Get to the tiny airport. The arrival process is like a slow-motion ballet of chaotic energy and questionable paperwork. Then, HALLELUJAH – Uber! Bless technology.
- 15:30: Arrive at the Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield. Okay, not bad. Clean, functional, blah, blah. Standard hotel fare. I'm more excited about the pot of actual, real coffee in the room than the view. My room has a window that looks out onto… well, a perfectly ordinary street. Sigh.
- 16:00: Attempt and fail to unpack. The suitcase explodes. Clothes everywhere. I'm pretty sure a sock has vanished into the ether. Starting strong, I see.
- 17:00: Wander. Wander aimlessly. Hatfield. The vibe is…college town meets…a slightly grittier version of a suburban strip mall. Found a Woolworths (thank god for familiar comforts). Went grocery shopping. Overbought, as usual. Feel the jet lag creeping up on me big time.
- 18:30: Dinner. Decide to be adventurous. Found a "local" restaurant with decent reviews nearby, apparently. Walked there. The waiter was so friendly and enthusiastic, which I appreciated, however the food turned out to be.. not so great. It's like the chef was trying too hard. My chicken tasted like it had a bad day.
- 20:00: Collapse in the room. Watch South African TV. Everything is dubbed in Afrikaans. I don't understand a word, but I'm strangely mesmerized. Find myself nodding off, clutching a rogue sock. Good night!
- 21:00: Wake up. I am a disaster area. Back to sleep.
Day 2: Voortrekker Monument and Monumental Disappointment (and some surprisingly good street food)
- 08:00: Wake up, slightly less of a zombie. Coffee. Coffee is life.
- 09:00: Attempt to organize a cab ride to the Voortrekker Monument. Success!
- 10:00: Voortrekker Monument. Okay, this place is intense. Architecturally, the thing is a beast. It's BIG. Like, "I need a map just to walk around" big. And the history… well, it’s complicated. Let's just say the exhibit about the pioneer history left me feeling… conflicted. Let's leave it at that. On a brighter note, the views from the top are breathtaking. You can see for miles. Pretoria stretches out before you like a slightly dusty canvas sprinkled with green.
- 11:30: Okay, got back to the hotel. I'm not going to say I enjoyed it as an "experience" but it was something. The museum was stuffy. And I feel like I need to re-learn history.
- 12:00: Lunch. Back to the streets. Found a food stall. The aroma from the food stall was amazing and the taste was even better. I would not be surprised if that’s everything I ate today.
- 14:00: Sleep. I am exhausted and sleepy.
- 16:00: Do some work.
- 18:00: Eat more street food.
Day 3: More adventures. Or, More Staying Put.
- 08:00: Wake up. I didn't.
- 10:00: Wake up. Coffee.
- 10:30: The plan was to go see the Union Buildings, but I'm kinda… over it? I'm tired of being a tourist. Plus, my feet hurt.
- 11:00: Decide to write some of my diary. The best I can see is to be at the hotel.
- 13:00: Lunch in the hotel. The food in the hotel turned out to be not too bad and a good experience.
- 14:00: More writing.
- 18:00: The bar is open. Or maybe this is just me, but I have absolutely no memory of the last several hours. I'm gonna go with "The bar is open."
- 21:00: More of that good, bad hotel food.
Day 4: Departure (and a lingering sense of "huh?")
- 07:00: Alarm screams. Pack. The sock is still missing.
- 08:00: Breakfast. The same coffee. I'm oddly comforted by the familiarity.
- 09:00: Uber. No more airport drama.
- Whatever Time I Get on the Plane: Fly out of Johannesburg. Pretoria… you were… an experience. I’m not sure if I loved it. But I felt it. And sometimes, that’s all that matters. Wait, did I leave my charger in the hotel room? Oh, for the love of…
So, Protea Hotel Pretoria Hatfield... Is it *actually* a good place to stay? Or just another hotel that promises the world and delivers lukewarm coffee?
Sometimes you get the perfectly smooth, melt-in-your-mouth caramel. Other times… you bite into a weird, grainy nougat that sort of sticks to your teeth and makes you question all your life choices. (That might just be *my* box of chocolates, though.)
What's the *vibe* like? Is it swanky, or more… relaxed? I don't want to feel overdressed if I show up in jeans!
There's a sort of… understated elegance, maybe? But it's the kind that whispers rather than shouts. In the restaurant, you *could* probably get away with a little more, but even then, it's not a stuffy Michelin-star type of atmosphere. Basically, leave your tiara at home. Unless you *really* want to. No judgement. (Okay, maybe a little judgement. Just kidding!)
The rooms… are they actually *nice*? Or do they resemble a generic office cubicle?
And then… there was *that* room. The one where the air conditioner sounded like a dying walrus. The one with the questionable stains on the carpet (don't look too closely, trust me). The one where the Wi-Fi cut out every five minutes, driving me absolutely bonkers. I swear I spent more time rebooting my phone than actually working! You win some, you lose some, eh?
My suggestion? If you're particularly picky (like me, after *that* room experience), request a specific room if possible, or at least ask about renovations. It's worth the effort. And maybe pack a small travel-sized bottle of air freshener... just in case. Just a thought.
Tell me about the food! I am a foodie! Is the restaurant worth it?
Breakfast is usually pretty solid – a decent selection of the usual suspects: eggs cooked to order, bacon, sausage (the South African boerewors is a must-try, by the way!), fruits, cereals, and the all-important coffee. Now, the coffee *can* be a bit hit-or-miss. Some days, it's a glorious nectar of the gods. Other days... well, let's just say it's more of a motivational beverage. Prepare for caffeine jitters, maybe.
Dinner... Now, dinner can vary. They have a varied menu, with a lot of options. I've had some really lovely meals there. I've also had a pasta that was, well, let's just say it needed a little… *oomph.* (I'm talking flavor. It needed *more*.) It's not haute cuisine, but you won't starve. The steaks can be good, I remember one was perfect, and the other... well, you get the gist. Expect to roll the dice with your culinary experience!
How's the location? Is it convenient for exploring Pretoria?
Hatfield is a relatively safe and vibrant area, with plenty of restaurants, shops, and cafes within walking distance. You can easily stroll to a coffee shop, grab some groceries, or find a place for dinner. Being able to hop on the Gautrain is a huge bonus! Especially if you're not comfortable driving in a new city or you dont have a car. It’s a total win! The only downside is the traffic. Pretoria traffic can be… intense. But that’s the nature of the beast!
Is there a gym/pool? Because, let's be honest, I'd rather be relaxing by the pool then sweating it out in the gym.
The gym… I *think* I've been in there once. Maybe twice. I'm more of a 'walking around the block' kind of exerciser. But from what I remember, it had the essentials – treadmills, weights, that sort of thing. Nothing fancy, but good enough if you're feeling energetic.
But really, the pool is where it's at. That's my happy place. Give it a proper assessment.
Anything else I should know before I book? Any hidden gems or potential pitfalls?
* **Parking:** Secure parking is available, which is a big plus in Hatfield. HoweverBest Hotels Blog